A bit more about me…
I am an experienced Journalist, Press Relations, Communications Professional and all-round content specialist with well over a decade’s worth of achievements in various high-profile and high-pressure roles, throughout the UK and abroad.
In my early media career, I was part of the online, video and social media teams at ITV News, Mail Online, Daily Telegraph and the All England Club, Wimbledon – in addition to working as a news and sports agency journalist.
My assignments have taken me across the world – working previously as an in-house Interviewer and Video Journalist for the England Men’s Cricket Team, covering extensive tours away to Australia, New Zealand and the Caribbean.
I was, also – for a three-and-a-half-year period – based in Dubai, UAE, working as a Sports Journalist and Digital Content Editor for an industry leader in the Middle East region. Separately, I have also work-travelled elsewhere – reporting at events and conducting interviews in a number of countries, from Qatar to the United States.
More recently, I have moved onto a successful career in Government Press Relations and Communications – playing a key role, among various other responsibilities, in relaying important messaging and policy developments externally, as well as handling crisis communications and reputation management scenarios.
Still actively writing and creating content, I have had work published in UK national newspapers and well-known magazines as well as on websites and for bespoke brands on their channels. My website (link attached via profile page) houses much of this content, and more – documenting a wide-ranging portfolio of articles, interviews, videos and imagery.
Some of these interviews include chats with sporting greats like Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Shane Warne, Ben Stokes, the Klitschko brothers, Usain Bolt, Mo Farah, Anthony Joshua and John McEnroe to name but a few – while I have also completed one-on-one interviews with Sir David Attenborough, Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Sir Michael Parkinson, Dame Barbara Windsor, Stephen Fry and Sir Richard Branson.
To conclude, it’s worth nothing that I am always interested in hearing about exciting projects, commission opportunities and proposals. Feel free to get in touch – please email: email@example.com.
You can also connect with me on LinkedIn.
Professional Work History
Marathon Running Training
Founder & Running Coach
Marathon Running Training is a platform and service designed to inspire and help each and every runner achieve their desired running goals.
Created and managed by founder Stuart Appleby – Sub-3 Marathoner | x14 Marathon Runner | x2 Ultra-Marathon Runner | UK-based Qualified Fitness Professional | 3+ years of training experience in Dubai | Sports Journalist and Media Professional for over a decade
Marathon Running Training provides:
– Fitness & Personal Training
– Bespoke Training Programmes For Numerous Distances & For Individuals Just Seeking To Develop Their Overall Fitness Levels (Strength & Conditioning Available)
– Running Advice & Videos
– Articles, Reviews, Interviews & Much More.
Journalist | Content Creator | Communications
On top of my other commitments, I continue to pursue journalism projects and work with a range of clients (including Brands, Fitness Companies and Individuals) when it comes to creating and collating content in the form of interviews and features.
Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Press Officer & Spokesman
The Maritime & Coastguard Agency work to prevent the loss of life on the coast and at sea. We produce legislation and guidance on maritime matters, and provide certification to seafarers.
We provide a 24-hour emergency maritime search and rescue service around the UK coast, and international search and rescue through Her Majesty’s Coastguard.
The MCA is an executive agency, sponsored by the Department for Transport.
Past Work History – Summary:
Sport360, Dubai, UAE
Digital Sports Journalist | Social Media, Video and Print Content Editor
I worked across all digital and social media platforms for Sport360.com as well as wrote for our daily print newspaper. I produced sports articles, features, video content and handled day-to-day social media flow and management on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
– Covered a smattering of different sports and cultivated engaging digital sports content; packaging material for all of our diverse platforms.
– I worked on and across social media analytics, content planning, strategy, metrics, daily maintenance and social updates.
– Conducted exclusive interviews with the likes of Roger Federer, Shane Warne and Roberto Carlos and covered the biggest sporting events in the Middle East region.
– Subbed pages, wrote headlines, edited copy, read pages and played key role in overall production of daily newspaper.
– Involved in video journalism, live videos and production.
– Worked alongside commercial, marketing and advertising teams with the aim of creating sponsored content.
– Handled freelancers’ work flow and assigned tasks.
Under Armour Middle East, Dubai, UAE
Running Ambassador, Dubai
– Worked as a Running Ambassador for Under Armour in the UAE and represented brand at events, content launches and coaching sessions.
– Involved in high-profile social media activations with big-name sponsored athletes, such as Michael Phelps and Anthony Joshua.
– Featured in official Under Armour product video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BS1JCfiFkUU/?taken-by=underarmourme
Hayters Teamwork Sports Agency, London
Head of Video | Sports Journalist
Worked as Head of Video production and as a video journalist; filmed on Canon, JVC, Sony models and edited using Final Cut Pro X.
Conducted interviews and reported at Premier League, Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup, Capital One Cup, England international matches and UEFA events overseas, including covering managers’ press conferences, mixed zone, training and sponsored events.
– I delivered content quickly and efficiently to clients under pressurised deadlines.
– Wrote daily copy for newspaper and online outlets, including talkSPORT, The Sun and The Football Association, providing news stories and interviews cultivated with my own contacts.
– Drove Hayters’ video production, attended meetings and solved client queries.
– Handled Twitter, Facebook and YouTube social media platforms.
– Involved in overall content strategy.
England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), UK and Worldwide
In-house Video Journalist | Interviewer | Digital Producer for Web and Social
I worked as a video journalist and producer – conducting interviews and working with sponsors at matches during the 2014 international summer (England vs India Test, ODI, T20 Series) – plus every moment and match of England’s 2015 tour to Australia for the Tri-Series, World Cup Down Under and in New Zealand, as well as the 2015 Test tour to the Caribbean.
– I earned the trust and respect of the team and management in the England camp and I was granted great access to film behind the scenes training and features.
– I produced (filmed and edited) video content for ECB channels and completed upwards of 200 interviews, building strong relationships within the team. The highlight was interviewing James Anderson on the field in Antigua after he broke Sir Ian Botham’s record to become England’s all-time leading Test wicket-taker.
– From a social media perspective, I controlled @ECB_cricket Twitter on tour, plus contributed to Image Builder, Facebook and Vine accounts.
– Involved in day-to-day media operations, worked with the Head of Communications and planned content.
Daily Mail Online | MailOnline, London
News and Sports Video Editor
Played an integral role in busy news and sports teams, edited and sourced video into packages and online clips, plus controlled carousels and video presentation on the home page.
Filmed and conducted interviews with the highlight being a video shoot with Zinedine Zidane.
– Day-to-day video uploads, editing and production for the MailOnline’s channels.
– Strong news sense and judgement to use a variety of content sources.
– Contacted video users and dealt with press offices to obtain video content.
– Worked across the news and sports teams, dealing with specific enquiries from journalists.
ITV News, London
Digital Producer for the ITV News Website
Sourced, wrote and edited news and video content, worked on ITV News’ website’s CMS, SEO, metadata, social media and contributed to bulletin editorial teams.
– Socialled content on ITV News’ Twitter and Facebook channels.
– Edited short video clips for web and social using Avid.
– Monitored wire stories and breaking news, wrote hundreds of online stories covering a range of subjects, as well as galleries and videos.
– Involved in morning and afternoon news meetings, contributed story ideas.
– Worked under-pressure and to quick, turn around deadlines.
Video Producer | Editor | Content Budget Management
The Telegraph, London
Video project with the newspaper’s former editor, Charles Moore, to collate, source and finance (operating within a budget) archive clips of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher for key presentation that was shown to Members of Parliament at the 2013 Conservative Party Conference in Manchester.
– Collated over 100 archive clips of Thatcher, carefully planning budget resources and day-to-day correspondence with video agencies.
– Worked across all the technical and production aspects of putting the video together, as well as manning operations on the day of the presentation.
– Liaised with key stakeholders from The Telegraph and Conservative Party to finalise the end product.
New Media Journalist | Video Content Producer
Wimbledon – The All England Lawn Tennis Club, London
Supported the Editorial Content Manager Alex Willis in the build up to and during the tournament, operated YouTube and Wimbledon.com video pages, worked on the official app and generated Andy Murray-led content after his famous SW19 victory.
– Video management of the Wimbledon.com and Wimbledon YouTube pages, including uploads, playlists, metadata, tagging, titles, video buttons, custom thumbnail designs and analytics.
– Wrote and produced video content for all of Wimbledon’s channels, including pre-tournament features from around the grounds at The All England Lawn Tennis Club.
– Filmed daily practice videos of the game’s biggest stars like Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Murray, Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova.
Communications and Marketing Assistant
ATP Champions Tour, London
Worked within the ATP Champions Tour Communications and Media Team during the AEGON (2011) and Statoil Masters Tennis (2012) tournaments.
– I was responsible for taking journalists to player interviews.
– Manned the media desk, dealt with enquiries, produced daily and digital press material and communicated press events with accredited personnel.
– Conducted filmed interviews and gathered on-court social media content.
– Interviewees included Tim Henman, John McEnroe, Pat Cash, Mats Wilander and Goran Ivanisevic.
– Played a key role in the official launch of the Statoil Masters, interviewing and filming with both Henman and Ivanisevic at the Natural History Museum ice rink in London.
– Worked on the red carpet during the first-ever Winter Whites Gala, in which Prince William was in attendance.
Sports Reporter | Video Journalist | Social Content Creator
Podium – The Further and Higher Education Unit for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
Worked in the build up to and during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. I covered the story of volunteers, Games Makers, students, academics, student athletes and workforce members for online, video and social media channels.
– Reported at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Stratford, covering events, conducting interviews and filing day-to-day reports of the action.
– Gathered all content for website, social and video channels.
– Conducted daily interviews and attended events throughout the further and higher education sectors.
– Worked with and alongside the Communications Team, contributing heavily to our weekly e-newsletters and awards nights.
Assistant Media Communications Officer
Hampshire County Cricket Club, Southampton
Worked as part of the media team, assisting the Head of Communications, for the best part of two county cricket seasons at the Ageas Bowl.
– Played a key part in generating video, social and digital content ahead of and during the inaugural England Test Match in 2011 at the venue.
– Conducted interviews with county cricketers as well as international stars such as Simon Jones, Kevin Pietersen, Shahid Afridi and Graeme Swann.
– Wrote match reports, features, filmed and edited video content for all channels, posted on social media, dealt with media enquiries and liaised with local and national journalists on matchdays.
– Edited end of season video highlights, which were shown at the annual awards night.
– University of Winchester (2008 – 2011): BA Hons Journalism (First-Class Honours).